Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls (Baked, not fried)
I LOVE Chili's Southwest Egg Roll appetizer. However, it is fried, which makes it a little more fattening that I would like. I started searching online to find an alternate recipe. I never really found ONE that was perfect to my liking. I combined about 3 different recipes together, giving and taking what I did and did not like and the following 5 star recipe was born.
What you need:
- Soft flour tortillas (fajita size) or Egg Roll Wrappers, I prefer tortillas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Mexican Blend cheese (1 bag pre-shredded)
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 "10-oz box" frozen spinach. Defrosted, and liquid drained. (I just wrung mine between 2 papertowels)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
What you do:
1. Begin to defrost your spinach. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add chicken, and then the rinsed and drained black beans, spinach, corn, and seasonings.
4. Mix well and cook until the mixture is heated through.
5. Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese and stir well. The cheese should get "melty".
6. Warm the tortillas. I place 5-6 between two damp paper towels and microwave for about 30 seconds.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes,flip over, and bake another ten minutes until the rolls are lightly browned and heated through.
Serve immediately with dipping sauce.